Two students of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri(FUTO) are believed to have suffered heavy suffocation by inhaling carbon monoxide from power generator resulting to their death.
The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) of the Imo State Command, Ikeokwu Godson Orlando (SP) revealed this unfortunate incident in a press statement.
Orlando said that upon a report on Thursday at about 6.00 pm, the Divisional Police hqrs, Nekede/Ihiagwa, operatives of the Division moved to Jabulani Hostel, Eziobodo and met the three yet to be identified occupants of one of the rooms lying helplessly in the room.
The operatives according to the PPRO broke into the room and immediately evacuated them to Federal Medical Center (FMC) Owerri where two of the victims were confirmed dead by the doctors on duty.
Orlando said that the third was successful revived.
He said that preliminary investigation revealed that the victims whom have been identified as students of the Federal University of Technology (FUTO) Owerri, might have suffocated as a result of the fume (carbon monoxide)which emanated from their power generating set, which they inhaled while sleeping.
The PPRO said that a power generator was seen directly by the window in an enclosed space and the fume discharging pipe pointing directly towards the window.
Meanwhile, the Imo State Commissioner of Police, Nasiru Mohammed (CP) has ordered investigation into the matter while efforts are ongoing to locate and inform their relatives.